Saturday, April 18, 2009

Great - Great - Great Grandma's China

I was deeply honored during my last trip to Florida. My parents couldn't get any more riders on their insurance because they live in a hurricane zone and my Mom wanted to make sure the families china was safe from harm. It has been in our family for generation after generation. I wept when she wanted me to ship it home. It's just one more sign that I wont have my parents with me forever.

While in Florida, we went to the local Pac Mail and for an hour they wrapped, taped, and packed up these precious pieces of family history. I was shocked at the cost at shipping them back to Fargo, but lovingly paid every penny, knowing that having a professional pack them, meant that the chances of damage would be decreased.


The china arrived yesterday, and I began opening it with awe as I realized just how much care they took in packing these aged dishes. I opened layer after layer and marveled that not one item was damaged or even chipped. When I opened the last piece I paused, knowing that it was safe, and that at least for now, this generation hadn't failed to protect our families legacy.


I dusted off my small cheerio cabinet and then placed each piece in, one at a time. Brandon was helping me and it was a great time to talk about family heritage, the passing down of family heirlooms, and what they mean to preserving a families history. Wee chatted about how when we use the China it gives us a chance to talk about family memories and how it evokes memories just like a picture does.


Brandon asked me who would inherit this family treasure next. I replied only, whomever will treasure it most and pass it on best.

No comments: